• Run-off Insurance Cover

    Cover for when you take a break or
    retire from private practice

  • Join Avant today and start benefitting immediately.

    Join now
  • Preparing for Retirement? Visit Avant Health and Wellbeing to view tips for a healthy retirement, retirement case studies and more.

  • Run-off Cover Scheme or Practitioner Indemnity Run-Off?

    When you’re planning to retire or have a break from medical practice, you have a couple of options to consider for professional indemnity insurance.

    • When you become eligible for the government’s Run-off Cover Scheme (ROCS) your last professional indemnity insurer issues you with a ROCS policy.
    • If you aren’t yet eligible for ROCS but are going to retire or take an extended break, you can apply for a Practitioner Indemnity Run-off (PIRO) Policy from Avant.

  • Features of your Practitioner Indemnity Run-off Insurance Cover

    • professional-indemnity-insurance

      Professional Indemnity Insurance

      Insurance cover for up to $20 million cover for your civil liability arising from the healthcare you have provided in the past.

    • legal-fees-cover

      Legal fees cover

      Insurance cover for disciplinary, criminal or coronial investigations.

    • unpaid-healthcare-cover

      Unpaid healthcare

      Covering you for unpaid healthcare you provided in the past including acting as a Good Samaritan, writing a referral or as a volunteer at a sporting event.

  • Cover is subject to approval and to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurance policy. To decide if a policy is right for you, please carefully read the Product Disclosure Statement which is available on this website or by contacting us on 1800 128 268.

  • The Australian Government introduced ROCS on 1 July 2004 to provide run-off cover to medical practitioners who have ceased private medical practice and who satisfy specified eligibility criteria, and to the estates of deceased medical practitioners.

    Under ROCS, the government guarantees to pay the cost of medical indemnity claims against eligible medical practitioners covered by the scheme.

    As a medical practitioner, when you become eligible for ROCS cover, your last medical indemnity insurer issues a ROCS insurance policy. The government will reimburse the insurer for any valid claims it pays under that ROCS policy.

    Find out more here.  

  • A medical practitioner becomes eligible for ROCS if they:

    • are 65 or over and have retired from private practice; or
    • are under the age of 65 who have not engaged in private practice or medical practice at any time for the preceding 3 years; or
    • have ceased practising due to permanent disability; or
    • are deceased (their estate is eligible for ROCS); or
    • leave Australia after working under Visa Class 422 or 457 and who have left Australia permanently; or
    • are on maternity leave.

    Find out more here.

  • Avant’s Practitioner Indemnity Run-off Policy (PIRO) is available to practitioners who have been members of United Medical Protection, MDAV or have held medical indemnity insurance with Avant.

    It is available when you:

    • permanently retire;
    • cease private practice;
    • cancel your indemnity policy for another reason;


    • do not meet the eligibility criteria for the government ROCS scheme.
  • If you plan to take a break from your career to start a family, you will need to ensure that you have the appropriate level of run-off cover to protect you from any incidents that may have occurred during your career but have not yet been notified to insurers. You may be eligible for the Government ROCS scheme. Contact Avant today on 1800 128 268 to learn more.

  • Run-off Cover Scheme or Practitioner Indemnity Run-Off? Contact us now